Monday, December 3, 2012

Obedience is Best

Today I began reading in 1 Samuel 15.  Why there you might ask?  Well, I have bee thinking an awful lot about King David; you know, how he is labeled as "a man after God's own heart."  I wanted to spend some time studying his story - looking into the struggles that he faced, the mistakes that he made, the kingdom that he led.  Despite all the pressure that David was under as a king, he still managed to glorify the Lord and inspire a nation.  I just thought it would be interested reading...and who knows, I might even learn something along the way!

Although David is not mentioned until 1 Samuel 16, his story actually begins in chapter 15.  King Saul is given specific instruction by Samuel, a prophet of the Lord.  The Amalekites attacked and "waylaid" the Israelites as they came up from Egypt.  God intended to use King Saul and his armies to punish the Amalekites for their brutality.  To make a long story short, King Saul took matters into his own hands and simply refused to obey the Lord's instructions.  He chose to carry out what parts he wanted, and chose to rationalize his decision for ignoring the other parts he didn't want to carry out.  On the one hand, his rationalizations seem attractive simply because he sold them as sacrifice and worship to the Lord.  On the other hand, it was disobedience to the Lord's instruction - plain and simple.  The Lord's heart was broken and he was grieved that he had ever made Saul king.

Why did the Lord suffer from a broken heart?  The Lord God is trying to save humanity.  He has people like Saul in place to protect and carry out the mission.  As king, Saul has influence and is an example to a nation of people.  His decision to ignore the Lord's instructions revealed his weakness as a leader.  His heart was not complete surrendered to the Lord and his purpose.  That alone was enough for the Lord to remove him as king...removing his influence over a nation of people.  Some might say that was harsh...others might say that was necessary.  Like Saul's heart, people will be divided.

Either way, this got me to thinking - to doing some self reflection.  I am a leader, a pastor, and a teacher; not to mention a husband and a father.  God has called me to this place because he believes I have influence.  With this influence, he will instruct me and use me to inspire others to protect and carry out his mission - redemption of humanity.  It is stories like this that become a sobering reminder of the importance of this mission.  All of which caused me to ask a few questions of myself today.  I thought I would share and challenge you to wrestle with these questions yourself.  The truth is...we are all leaders; whether it is as pastors, parents, employers, friends, etc.  We are all leading someone!

First, where has God called me to lead others in his kingdom mission and vision?

Second, (and very important) am I even truly listening for God's instruction in this important position in which he has placed me?

Third, if and when I hear him, am I listening to his instruction, and can he rely on me to carry it out?

Some important questions for all of us to consider...in my honest opinion.

No comments: