Thursday, June 5, 2008

He Answered...Setting Me Free


Isn’t it great how the Lord just swoops right in sometimes and gives you exactly what you need at just the right time? Well, this week I have been in Austin taking yet another grad class on the road toward my Masters degree. I have been at this since 2001, working as a full-time minister and dad. There are no words that are capable of expressing just how badly I want to be done. Seriously, I have been going to school and doing homework since I was in Kindergarten. And just so you know how painful that is for me, I am now 31 years old. I am not going to tell you why it has taken me this long, so don’t ask.

Anyway, now that the light has broken at the end of the tunnel, I have acquired what can only be explained as a serious case of Senioritus. Just when this bug had to bite me, I had to have one of the most difficult classes of my educational career. It is not difficult because of the content. The class is The History of Christianity in America, and I am more than interested in the topic. No, the class is difficult because of the work load. Forgive me while I whine a little. Within this two week course I must read two books and complete a Group Project, take two major exams at the end of each week, and read 5 books and write a book review for each.

I cannot even begin to tell you how overwhelmed I feel right now. I am away from my family during the week. I am away from my church family and closest friends. I am tired, worn out both mentally and physically, and ready to come home. I know, when is he going to stop whining and get to the part that is supposed to be good? Well, as I was feeling really bummed last night, I just went to God in prayer before falling asleep. I asked God to give me the strength and encouragement that I needed that would help me complete these two weeks and move on with life. That is when I decided to open up the Psalms and read for some inspiration. I mean, David, and others, went through some really rough times. Most all of them recorded in the Psalms how God came to their aid and gave them hope. That is when God led me straight to Psalm 118:5-7, 14…

5 In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. 6 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? 7 The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. 14 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.

How beautiful is that?

2 comments:

Denise said...

Hang in there, my friend! We are praying for you!(I want you to know I see you in the picture you posted with this! Very good resemblance! LOL!) We will have to have dinner when you get home. We miss our dinner buddies!
Hugs...d

Anonymous said...

It is amazing, isn't it, how often God speaks to us just the right word? Hang in there brother. Who knows, you may just be getting ready to get the ole'Phd!