Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Pain of the Mundane



I have recently been wondering about life, relationships, and family. Without going into much detail, many close friends in my life have been struggling with their faith and their marriage. Some say that they can’t quite pinpoint what the problem is, and others feel as though they know exactly what they problem is, but they just don’t know how to fix it. Why is it that our relationships begin to crumble? Why is it that struggling with these relationships and struggling in our relationship with God, typically go hand-in-hand?

I wonder if we haven’t created this problem out of our mundane routines and habits. Let me explain. Before you read the next sentence, let us just agree that there are always exceptions, but generally, this is too true. I believe that if you walked into most any Church of Christ in the country on any given Sunday, you would experience pretty much the exact same order of worship. If you are a member of the Church of Christ, you know what I mean…Welcome; Songs; Communion; Songs; Sermon; Invitation. The format is completely predictable. I wonder, though, if it is so predictable that it has actually become detrimental to our spiritual vitality.

Have you ever heard anyone say, “I have driven this road day in and day out for the last _____ (you insert the number) years, I could drive it with my eyes closed.” Or maybe you have heard this one, “I have done ________ (you insert the task) so many times, I could do it in my sleep.” Routines and habits can be helpful in some cases, but I am beginning to seriously question if they are not actually more harmful. I experience the same worship format week in and week out. I look around at all of the faces and I see zombie-like expressions. By the facial expressions, or lack thereof, I see people that are there because they feel that they have to be, or know that they need to be, but they are certainly not engaged. I look out while we are worshipping, and I notice that only about 30-40% of the congregation is actually participating. That means 60-70% of our people are not even engaged in the worship. Have we done church the same way for so long that we have arrived at the point where we can “do it in our sleep” or
“with our eyes closed?”

Sadly, I believe that is exactly what is happening. I am afraid that many of us have lost our spiritual fervor for God. I fear that worship has become mundane and boring for many in our fellowship. I believe that it has become so predictable and unexciting that we literally sleep through worship. Time and time again I hear people who are not engaged in worship admit that they are not reading their Bibles or praying to God on a regular basis. If they are not growing with God on their own, and they are not growing with God through worship, when and how are they growing at all? And, if they are not growing in their relationship with God, how do they expect to grow in any other relationship in their lives, marital or cordial? The moment we begin to struggle in our relationship with God, that is the moment Satan steps in and takes the opportunity to break down other aspects of our lives; jobs, finances, and of course, marital relationships. The more pieces he can destroy, the more doubt he creates in our hearts and minds about God, and he in turn expands his power in this world.
“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)

I wish we could “liven” up worship. I wish we could “shake” things up. However, when a worship leader finally gets the courage to “change” things up a bit, he usually gets his feet held to the fire. People typically don’t like things that make them feel uncomfortable. And we usually keep the uncomfortable ones “happy” because they are usually the loudest. I wonder though…

What if we started worship by taking the fellowship meal together?
Although we like to act like it is, the Lord’s Supper is not a funeral. Jesus asked his disciples to practice it in remembrance of him. In remembrance of what, exactly? Just his death! Maybe that too is part of our problem. We take it every week, focusing only on his death. We need to be reminded, I guess, that three days later he rose from that grave. He is alive! We eat and drink in honor of the “good news”; the death, burial, AND the resurrection. Wouldn’t it be great if we started one Sunday with the Communion, and didn’t tell anyone? That might surely shake things out of the mundane.

What if we started the worship service one Sunday with the sermon?
There is a slight possibility that if we were reminded about the grace of God, how much he loves us, and the extent to which he proved that love, it might actually improve the quality of the worship if it followed the sermon. Also, what if someone in the crowd heard the sermon, responded in baptism, and then was able to share in the Communion feast with the entire congregation? That too might also serve to “liven” up the worship that would follow as the whole church worships God in “celebration” of a redeemed brother and/or sister in Christ. The congregation as a whole might develop a whole new appreciation for worship, and a new love and respect for God.

At the risk of sounding overly critical…What we have been doing doesn’t seem to be significantly or spiritually forming. If that is true, then why are we so afraid to try something different? Meanwhile, we sit and wallow in our reluctance and watch our friends and families crumble around us because they know God, but do not truly love him.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that the same motivation (or lack of it) that drives us to spend our lives serving him as you discussed in your last post, will also drive us to worship him. Like you said, at the times in my life when I’m not following closely to the Lord personally and growing it shows up as a symptom in worship. When we are passionate about God then “have to” and “should” attitudes change to sincere desire. For me, worship alone or in a group is food for my soul that I can’t receive from anything in this world and spiritually can’t survive without. When I take off my mask and honor God through song and prayer, he pours out a peace that fills up the holes left from living in the world all week.

The most awesome worship services I’ve been apart of have nothing to do really with whether instruments, acapella singing or praise teams are used (although I love all three). It’s when the time is set up in a way to allow us to “rest in Him”. This time to relax, take a deep breath and just be still before God while we worship can help provide the “brake before we break” advice of the 4th commandment that Charles spoke about Sunday as God's Spirit ministers to our spirits. I do believe it might mean scaling down a lot of extras to just allow for singing, praying, communion and a lesson without much interruption. Variety is fine too but I wish that the focus could change from a “meeting” of sorts with lots of housekeeping type things to just worship, plain and simple.

Those that complain the loudest are most often those that want things left alone and don’t mind communicating to have it done “their way”. The sad thing I’ve seen is that there are those who genuinely feel that they are “missing something” during our time together. Often rather than speaking up they will either quietly comply or will quietly leave to find a place that meets their needs. I guess it is for me and maybe those others who are less vocal that I’m responding to this post.

Luke Riggs said...

Cory, you gave us a lot to chew on.

You stated, "I fear that worship has become mundane and boring for many in our fellowship." I'm not sure that it is not "church" that has become mundane and boring rather than worship. I'm not sure how much worship we actually do during our assembly. Our corporate emphasis is still focused on five acts of worship we seem to approach in a checklist fashion. Do we facilitate bowing before God almighty, prayer for much other than the sick, singing, adoration, expressing our love to God? Is everything done FOR edification or is that just a by- product that we hope will be the result of or activities? Somehow I think we've gone astray.

I do believe this is somewhat of a chicken and egg type of question. If we collectively come to our assembly prepared to praise and to encourage, I believe God's spirit will bless that. At the same time, I believe the structure that we follow can actually quinch the Spirit? I realize that when we come together that we don't need to come with the idea of, "what will I get out of the activities?" but at the same time if those who lead activities do not meet the spiritual needs of those making the effort to be there (late or on time) people will cease to come. Churches aren't like baseball fields in the Midwest; we can't just build them and hope people come.

We all have different preferences for change/variety or stability/tradition. Everyone needs to submit to one another in a spirit of love and unity. We need enough variety to engage us and we need enough structure/tradion to keep from taxing our creative abilities and to prevent constant squabbles over what new idea can we do next week. You know the word "Re-runs" comes to mind as I read this post. Some like them; others can't stand to watch them.

For me personally, I feel we need more time for singing, praying, and even testimony--the simplest acts of what true worship involves. I'm fine with juggling the order some--especially if it is done for a particular purpose, but I think what we do and the time we spend doing it are more significant than the order. Sometimes we may need to revisit old traditions, of our church and join hands across the aisles and sing, "We're Part of God's Family."

I don't mean to sound critical. I think those of use who lead come with the best of desires and intentions and do great work in their roles. We are at a challenging point in history. I can voice the same criticisms about the Bible classes that I lead. In many ways we mirror some of our governmental bureaucracies that contain elements of so many special interests that they lose there overall effectiveness.

You ask, why are we afraid to do something different? Fear of criticism, fear of making someone leave, fear that it will flop.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Thanks for your words!

By the way, can we combine yours and Charles' latest posts? Very similar ideas.

The Journeyman said...

Kerrie,

Thanks for your comments. Just a few thoughts. Yes, when we are passionate our attitudes change. But I am concerned that many of us have "lost our passion." I am proposing that we, as the church, should do what we can to inspire people back into action. I really like your "rest/relax" in his presence idea. Maybe we should create times of stillness, where the church simply listens for the voice of God. Great thoughts!

The Journeyman said...

Tommy,

I would like to thank you for your thoughts. I believe that you and I are essentially saying the same thing. To be sure, though, church is not something we do, it is what we are. Therefore, that is why I am offering these thoughts. Also, you mentioned that "if we come prepared to praise and encourage, God's spirit will bless that." I totally agree with your comment. However, that is the point of my post. I am not sure that collectively we are coming prepared; for the reasons that I state in my post. Worship has become such a predictable thing, we have checked out before we even get there.

You and Kerrie share some of the same thoughts...it is not just the order that is the problem. I am in total agreement with the both of you on that. I suggest a simple change in the order becuase I feel that this change would be the first to accept without much "grumbling."

I take no criticism from your comment about those that lead worship. I believe that they all come with the most honorable desires and intentions. However, often times when they are attempting to do something different in order to meet the needs of those coming (late or not), some start to complain that there has been too much change. I am wondering how we meet on a middle ground, balancing the visionaries and the traditionalists?

Thanks for your comments. You have given some things to chew on.

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean Cory about how to motivate those that aren’t motivated right now. How do you build a fire under them for God that will fix the relationship problems that we see…
Maybe if we provide the worship time needed (however that may look) they will come…and they will return for more. I can’t help but think that during our worship time we can pray for the spirit to search the hearts of the members, minister to those in need and open the eyes of those who have been asleep. I think that eventually they will come with prepared hearts as needs are met and like you said the results will spill over into their lives/relationships. Those that are prayer warriors can “stand in the gap” as Polly spoke of yesterday in class, and pray for those who have lost their passion. I do believe that if we allow for God to work during the brief time we have our church together (Sunday morning) His Spirit can and will bridge that gap from knowing Him to loving Him. I agree…lets start with something. Go For It!

Thank you Cory! I just know that God will bless yours and the other leader’s efforts. I’m committing to start praying now!

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bigwhitehat said...

I disagree with so much of this. I only wish more Churches of Christ were alike. I am about to move from Highland Oaks in Dallas to Sherwood in Odessa. The two have very little in common.

I will tell you this though: ours is a new generation. Churches that don't embrace thematic worship and class, that don't embrace multi media worship and that don't mix things up a little will have a hard time in the future. We are multi-media and theme oriented people now.

As for the struggles with personal faith and marriage, I think it is has more to do with personal character. I know that is the problem in my own faith and marriage.

I think the biggest problem we all have today is a lack of balance. We get our priorities all out of whack and that leads to the destruction of our faith and marriages. I think that same lack of balance is the real problem with our churches too.

The Journeyman said...

Denise...
I have heard more than one person comment, "any more change right now might send me (or us) over the edge." If a few slight changes in the order of our worship are enough to send some of us over the edge, then we have greater spiritual issues to address than just our worship. There is nothing scriptural in the "order" of worship. So, in my opinion, there is no need to get all tied up in any change in the order. If it helps some rediscover their relationship with God, and if it helps some discover God for the first time, then I believe we should not be afraid to try it. I am not, nor have I ever, pushed change for the sake of change. My heart is for those who have yet to experience the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Any changes I suggest are ones that I feel may better equip us to reach our community.

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate you contributing to the discussion.

The Journeyman said...

bigwhitehat...
I am not sure that you actually disagree with as much as you think. You said, "Churches that don't embrace thematic worship and class, that don't embrace multi media worship and that don't mix things up a little will have a hard time in the future." That is exactly what I am advocating. Making changes, within the bounds of Scripture, that help us better relate to the current culture.

You also said, "As for the struggles with personal faith and marriage, I think it is has more to do with personal character." I agree with that too. I believe that our character struggles are directly related to our walk with Christ. At least in my experience, and it may be different for you, people always tell me that they experience a character crisis when they are struggling in their relationship with God; i.e., when they are feeling distant and disconnected from God. I am simply suggesting that if the church can help unbelievers connect with God, and if the church can help believers deepen their relationship with God, then by all means, make some changes.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Denise said...

Cory,
I wasn't really focusing on the order of worship or changes therein. I don't have a problem with that at all. Three songs a prayer, song, communion, sermon, that is routine and is sad that we can quote it almost perfectly. Communion after service.... GREAT ... try it! Standing to sing, lights dim, kneeling to pray, testimonies, sermons, all of these are much more important than the order we do things. I understand that if we don't change we won't reach people today.

I know your heart and that change for the sake of change is not why you are seeking something different for our worship. I think many of us are seeking something without knowing exactly what it is. I also do believe we have some spiritual issues that are deeper than the order of worship that need to be focused on.

It was not my heart to imply to never change or to go backwards in our worship. If people are hurting or disconnected, we need to reach them. Whatever it takes.....

Anonymous said...

I realize that i am probably the youngest to read these; and even more so, probably the most cynical. What really frustrates me is that nothing in churches ever change. These issues are not new issues. We talk about them all the time. Quite honestly, none of these things are going to inspire anyone to be more passionate about God or worship. it doesnt matter if you change the order. Its a matter of heart. Your best bet is to show them passion. Sometimes it takes seeing someone truly love something, to love it yourself.

Anonymous said...

Providing a quite, focused time of worship for people to be able to engage with the Spirit of God IS allowing some, the time to witness and others, a chance to be witnessed to. It takes courage to look at what we are doing and change for those specific purposes. On our own even witnessing isn't worth much, but through intercessory prayer nothing is beyond the power of God.

The Journeyman said...

Katy...
Thanks for contributing to the discussion. How are things?

Anyway, on this point you and I are going to have to agree to disagree. Worship is too predictable. I have been in churches with a very passionate worship leader, and it didn't seem to make a difference. If we could "change the order" even the slightest bit, make it less predictable, and bring a few people out of their spiritual slumber...why not?

I agree with you on this...It is a matter of one's heart. However, I have heard from many struggling Christians themselves that they are not growing, connecting with God on their own time. Why can't we "loosen" up a little bit, make some subtle changes, and pray that the Holy Spirit convicts us as a church and shocks us all back into a passionate relationship with Jesus.

You may be right. These order changes may not do a thing. But I for one am willing to try, if it helps any of us reconnect with God. There are "other" changes that we have been talking about for quite some time that could be made. I may be wrong, but I think you would agree that some change in a few of those areas would provide a passion the Churches of Christ have never seen, and if we are honest, truly needs to see. However, it seems that the closer we get to making those changes, the louder the opposition. Ever seen the movie, "What about Bob?"...baby steps, baby steps.

The Journeyman said...

Kerrie...
Thanks again!!!

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charles North said...

Cory - this is a really good discussion. I want to echo very LOUDLY what you said here: "I look around at all of the faces and I see zombie-like expressions. By the facial expressions, or lack thereof, I see people that are there because they feel that they have to be, or know that they need to be, but they are certainly not engaged. I look out while we are worshipping, and I notice that only about 30-40% of the congregation is actually participating. That means 60-70% of our people are not even engaged in the worship."

I think less that 30-40% of people were singing as I looked around this morning. I had visitors. It was embarrassing! When I preach (and I believe I do it passionately) I see the same zombie-like expressions. I fantasize about saying something so out of whack that people's heads explode. I want to go on record as saying that sometimes, change for the sake of change is good. We're at that point NOW!

The Journeyman said...

Hey Charles...
Thanks for jumping into the discussion. I appreciate your honesty. And...consider yourself to be officially "on the record." :-)