Wednesday, December 5, 2007

"Four Weddings and a Funeral"...A Look Back

Wow! What a year! I really don’t know what else to say. It hasn’t been terrible. It hasn’t been burdensome. It has just been wild. I have actually grown a lot throughout the last year. When someone goes through a whole lot of change in a short amount of time, I have heard it said that they have been “baptized by fire.” Let me tell ya, it has been hot! Good!...but HOT! I have learned so much about myself this year. As I look back, I am and will be eternally grateful for the challenges that the Lord has presented me with over this last year. Within this last year, I have seen a lot, experienced a lot, and taken a lot. I like to call this last year in review, “four weddings and a funeral.”

Within this last year, I have taken on a massive amount of preaching responsibilities. You know that old saying, “Be careful what you pray for…you just might get it!?” Well, I have been itching to preach, and buddy, have I had ample opportunity. It has been fun, too! Our last preacher has accepted the call to plant a church in a growing community just to the north. While our church began the search for our next pulpit minister, I opened my mouth and told my elders I would like a crack at this preaching thing. I have certainly enjoyed the time in study, reflection, and prayer as I prepared for each sermon. I have preached more in the last 12 months than I have in my last eight years of ministry. Exciting, huh! I feel that God and I have developed a much closer relationship in these last 12 months.

To add to the excitement, I have actually done “four weddings and a funeral.” I have had the privilege of performing the first wedding ceremony of one of the kids that grew up in my youth ministry. Let me just tell you, it is one thing to watch them grow up for six years in your ministry; but, it is something else entirely when one of them calls one day and tells you they would be honored if you would perform their wedding. They would be honored?! Man, it was so cool to be able to perform their wedding and participate in such a special day. I was able to cap the year with three more weddings for some who were members of our church, and some who just had past ties to our church. For one, I actually got the honors of performing a wedding for one of my past youth ministry interns.

The funeral was very humbling. Have you ever wondered why God places you in certain situations when he does? Well, this funeral was one of those moments. When this family called and asked for me, I kept asking myself, “Why me?” I really didn’t know them. They really didn’t “know” me. They had seen me upfront regularly because I work for the church, but we did not have a deep relationship with one another. After I had the opportunity of meeting this family, God began to reveal to me why he was asking me to do this funeral. As I began to visit more and more with the family, I began to realize that this man was so much like my granddaddy. As I said before, I really didn’t know this family all that well. However, the more and more I listened to them talk about him, share stories about him, and remember him, the more I saw my granddaddy sitting beside me in the room. When I began to put my thoughts down on paper for the funeral, it became very apparent to me what I was going to say. And going into this experience I was terrified because it was my first funeral. I believe the Lord knew what he was doing.

So there it is…my year in review. It may not be very exciting to you, but it was a ride for me. There is so much more I could tell you, but these are the most exciting highlights. What has the Lord done for you this year? What were some of your most exciting moments? What were some of your most terrifying? Somebody be brave and start the sharing! Blessings…

9 comments:

Bill Jordan said...

One wedding. One funeral. One grandbaby on the way. One new advertising manager. That sums up my year.

Emotionally it has been a HUGE year. Emotionally I'm drained. I don't know if my battery will automatically recharge on 1.1.08 or if it is going to take awhile for me to fell "ok" inside again. But right now I don't feel "ok" inside and that bothers me.

I love my two sons, but I was not prepared for the wild emotional ride I went on when Jeffrey and Amy got married. I guess I thought that event was just going to be another chapter in watching your kids "grow up." The reality of seeing our youngest son actually "leave the nest" hit me like a ton of bricks falling on my head. But the good news is I recovered quickly because in the very next moment I realized we now had a new member of the family. And what an addition! Amy just makes everything so much better for all of us – and especially for Jeff.

My dad's death in late October is something I still haven't come to terms with. On one hand I was spared watching his health and mental state declined even further. On the other hand I find myself wishing for just one more conversation or one more laugh with him. It's such an empty feeling.

... and then there's this grandbaby thing. Wow! At first it almost made me angry. I'm just not ready to admit that I'm that old. But then after the prospect of what's ahead started sinking in I've just about reached the point where I'm ready to jump ahead to June, skip Christmas and a whole bunch of birthdays, and get to the good stuff. I plan to bring a TOTALLY new meaning to the word "spoiled."

And if that's not enough for one year, I even had all of this emotion spill over into my job. My ad manager for many years, Nicole Petet, decided to retire (or at least that's what we're calling it). It opened the door for a new opportunity for Jeffrey and he's just this week moved into Nicole's office and taken over the duties as our ad manager. It's a big jump in responsibilities for him and a really big adjustment for me.

It wasn't all that long ago that Jeffrey popped in every afternoon after school at The Kaufman Herald and took out the trash. Now I look on the other side of the building and he's in that office directing the traffic that fuels my income here at The Terrell Tribune. That's a big leap in such a short time from being the "trash boy" to the sales manager of four publications.

I don't think that tells the whole story of my past 12 months, but it sums up the parts that are fresh on my mind.

I could fill up a lot more space telling how much it has meant to me to watch Cory grow and mature in the past year. But I think he covered that subject himself. If he wanted to share any more details with us, I'm sure it would be interesting. But that's Cory's call.

The Journeyman said...

Bill,

Thanks for being brave and stepping out there. Hopefully many more will jump in and share a bit about their year.

Sounds like it has been a wild ride for you as well. I am sorry about the mixed emotions you feel about your dad. Greif is a process that all of us wish we could avoid. However, I believe there is a newness of life that is coming your way. I watched both of my parents grab hold of a strong "second wind" when their grandkids arrived. I think you will find that when this baby comes, you will be running off of automatic...not batteries!

Watching Jeff is an adjustment I am sure, but I am confident that he will continue to succeed in making you proud. It may have been a tough year, but you do have lots to smile about.

If nothing else, you have your best friend to walk beside you in each new chapter. My wife is constantly talking about the amazing Mrs. Jordan. Your wife brings so much strength and encouraement to Leslie. Rest assured that she is there for you to lean on. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Cory,
I'm sorry about the firey baptisim but I don't know what the church would have done without you over this last year. I'm very thankful for you and Leslie and the unselfishness you have shown to the people here, especially to my niece that so happened to be one of the marriages for you. The influence you & Leslie were for her in your youth group is priceless. The influence you have been this last year in your new position is priceless as well and so much appreciated by the many people I have seen you quietly serve, including me!
I have a new favorite quote that Susan Kellet recently gave me: "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" from Pericles.
You definitely did a lot of weaving this last year!

Ok, so my scariest times have been with sick parents and coming to grips with some role reversals and reality that out of three children I'm it as far as the caretaker of my parents. As part of this reality I've also grown so much closer to my mom as we have born the burdens together like never before and had some amazing discussions as we leaned on each other.

An exciting and scarey new thing for me is writing. I've definitely gotten out of my "zone" and put some of my thoughts out for others to read as I felt that was what God was directing me to do. It is great to know that some of my experiences are "out there" for others to use and see that all things can work together for good for those that love the Lord. We serve an awesome God and its been a major stretch sharing that with others in a public way.

Seeing Luke my 8 year old boy come to us and ask to be baptized was incredible and the main highlight of my year!

The Journeyman said...

Kerrie,

You are too kind! Thank you for the nice things that you said. I sure hope my mom reads the comments, ha...ha!

Anyway, I am so grateful that you have pushed yourself to "step out" in faith this year. I have seen you do just as much behind the scenes this year as I have. You have been a great help to so many, in such a subtle way. I am sure that your mom relishes the time she has spent with you, and I am certain she would say she has benefited just as much if not more.

You and Tommy are amazing parents, and it has been so neat to watch how you both have formed the faith of your children. I am sure that watching your kids surrender to the lordship of Christ is a very moving experience. One day I will witness this and we can swap some more stories then. Until then, thanks for being such a servant and friend.

Blessings...

ChristianTechonlogist said...

At work, our presidential coined slogan for 2007 was “The Year of Stability.” However, his definition of stable and mine are not the same. This year I have been forced to realize that there is nothing earthbound that I can put my faith in. Trees will fall and take a 30-year old bridge out. Someone can give marriage-saving, life altering advice and then choose to leave his marriage. However, the advice is still solid.

I have also learned that everyone does not have my perspective on life, and that does not mean one is right and the other is wrong.

God has painstakingly shown me he wants me to have a real relationship with Him and not a set of beliefs that I can write down on paper. I have come face-to-face with the fact that I would have had to condemn Jesus’ actions based on my “belief system.”

Bill, sorry to tell you this… But I have wanted several times this year to talk to my dad. It has been four years since his death.

The best part of 2007 is the fact that my beautiful wife cried, held, and laughed with me during the whole journey. I have also had some top-notch friends and mentors in this journey.

2007 has given me a better appreciation for Merle Sims. I do not think anybody, herself included, knows what all she does. I also have a much greater adoration for the elders at the Kaufman Church of Christ.

Thanks to 2007 I will never hear the titles “teacher” or “educator” the same way. “Teachers are Awesome!”

As 2007 comes to an end I feel as though I still have more questions than answers. However, I feel as though my questions will either be answered in their own time or really have no bearing on my future.

Cory, thanks for the encouragement to compile the year into words. (By the way you were/are one of the top-notch friends.)

The Journeyman said...

Joe,

Sounds to me that even with the "hurdles" you have to jump over this year, you have had a pretty amazing year as well. By the way, Leslie and I still see you and Jaime as some of our first and closest friends here at Kaufman.

First, not everyone should have the same perspective on life that you do. It is our different perspectives that make us unique; and it is our uniqueness that makes us the church. At least in my opinion!

It is also okay for you to want to have a conversation with your dad. There is no need to apologize for that. The only thing that shows is that you miss him. My granddaddy has been gone for quite a while, and there are still times I would have like to have had his advice on some things.

It is good to see that you have grown and are continuing to grow in your relationship with God. If we are not growing spiritually, then what on earth do we go through all of this stuff for, anyway. And also realize that just because somebody has good advice to give, that doesn't mean that they always follow that advice themselves.

Finally, seek God and hold on to your family. As this year draws to a close, remember just how much you have been blessed, eve through the storms of this last year. God will guide us and lead us. We just have to learn to look! Blessings...

ChristianTechonlogist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChristianTechonlogist said...

On someone not following their own advice:
I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good.
- Seneca

Anonymous said...

Good post.