Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Childish or Child-like"

Which church is the "right" church? What makes "that" church the right church? Has Jesus left us with any indication about what kind of person makes the "right" kind of disciple? Take a little bit and wrestle with these questions before moving on.

Mark 9:30-37
As Jesus and his disciples are traveling, Jesus attempts to inform them of his coming suffering and resurrection. But they do not understand. This is Jesus’ attempt to connect the dots for his disciples. This king that they serve and follow is not a military king, but a suffering servant. He was sent to the cross for their sins, our sins, the world’s sins. They miss the point.

We know they miss the point because the very next paragraph shows an interesting teaching of Jesus to his disciples. It starts with Jesus sitting his disciples down and asking a very interesting question, “So tell me, what were you arguing about on the road?” And the next verse reveals to us the answer to that question. They had been arguing about who was going to be the greatest when Jesus re-established the kingdom of God. There is something heartbreaking in the thought of Jesus going towards a cross and his disciples arguing about who would be greatest!


Instead of seeking a place of service, they were seeking positions of advantage. Jesus used a child to help his self-centered disciples get the point. They were to have servant attitudes, being not "childish" (arguing over petty issues), but "childlike," with humble and sincere hearts. Seeking honor, respect, and the attention of others runs contrary to Jesus' requirements for his servants. An attitude of service brings true greatness in God's kingdom.

Notice what happens next! John still doesn't get it...he misses the point big time!
Mark 9:38-41

For John, it is still about place, position, power. Can you hear him, "But Jesus we saw a man driving out demons, using your name, and he is not one of us, the Twelve, the chosen ones." I love Jesus' response..."Do not stop him! For anyone who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us." (emphasis added) Wow, I love this!

Friends, how many times have we pulled this? How many times have we excluded, slandered, and confronted a brother, sister, another denomination, etc. because they don't "do church" the same way that we do? You know, they don't worship like us, they don't "partake" of communion the same way we do, and they don't share the same slant on women's role. We cry out to God and to one another, "We confronted them and told them to stop, because they were not one of us!" For years many in my fellowship have refused to participate in community activities all because another denomination that they don't agree with is involved. They have refused to because the people involved were people they just didn't feel "comfortable" with. What would Jesus say to that? I have a pretty good idea! I don't believe one's theology should get in the way of them helping those in need. Have we forgotten the "Parable of the Good Samaritan?"

This passage from Mark 9 has forced me to ask myself a very important question...Who is my 'real' enemy? Friends, I am arriving at a different place in my ministry than many of the ancestors in my fellowship. My enemy is not the Baptists, the Assembly of God, the Methodists, the non-denominationals, no sir!! My enemy is "Satan!" I would imagine Satan himself is reveling in the fact that churches are fighting against each other. I would imagine he smiles as brothers and sisters from the same congregations argue and fight over "petty" differences...most of which have "absolutely nothing" to do with salvation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these men and women from these other denominations, or non-denominations, fighting the same evil I am, you are, we are? Their enemy is my enemy, Satan! Don't they preach Jesus as the Son of God, hung on the cross for my sins, and resurrected on the third day? I believe they teach this same Jesus as they door to salvation. According to Jesus himself in Mark 9, that makes them my "ally."

I know this is gettin' preachy, but let me share a couple of passages with you before I close.

The first Scripture is…
12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free — and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
- 1 Cor 12:12-13 (NIV)

The second Scripture is…
4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit— just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
- Eph 4:1-6 (NIV)
Jesus' followers did not and will not all look the same and belong to the same groups. However, Jesus' followers do all have the responsibility of building up the kingdom of God. We should and must cooperate. I am done fighting over petty differences. Let us unite together, in one Spirit, through the bond of peace. Let us band together to fight for the lost and hurting of this world, rather than fighting with each other. It is time for us to stop being so "childish" and start being more "child-like."
I close with the words of Paul...
2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified…
- 1 Cor 2:2-5 (NIV)
May God grant us the wisdom to see what is most important in this world. May he open our eyes to the real enemy. And may he bless us with the compassion and patience to work with one another in the struggle to share Jesus with those in need.

No comments: