Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"My Dream vs. His Call"

Dreams. Do you still have those? We all have hopes and visions of what we want our life to look like. As children, we all dream of what we will be, where we will live, and what we will be doing. Some of us dream about being presidents, doctors, lawyers, managers, etc. “Are you just where you believed you would be?”

When I was a senior in high school, my preacher asked all us to write down some information. He wanted to know where we saw ourselves in five years; where will you be, what will you be doing, will you be married, and how many children will you have/do you plan to have? He informed us that he planned to file them away and mail them to us in five years. Naturally, I filled it out but never believed that I would ever see it again. Here were my answers…in five years, I believed that I would be graduated from college and coaching junior high basketball in a smaller West Texas town. I believed that I would be married and even said that I planned to have at least two kids some day.

When I got this envelope in the mail, I opened it up and read it, and wondered how I came to be where I was in life. You see, I was just about to walk across the stage and receive my bachelor’s degree. I wasn’t even thinking about coaching anymore. I had felt called into the ministry and was currently serving as the youth minister in a small West Texas town. I was married, and my wife was pregnant with our first child. Some of the things had gone my way, but why not the career. I had loved sports all of my life. Just ask my dad! My whole life I had always said that I was going to teach physical education and coach basketball. I had it all planned out, too. I was going to coach junior high.

So, what happened?! Why didn’t I end up where I just knew I was going to be? I have to admit, there have been times that I wondered what kind of coach I would have made. I have to admit, there have been times that I wondered if I was really in the right place. I, like many of you, have looked toward the heavens and asked God, “Why me? Why here?” The greatest answer I have ever received from the Lord came when I was on a journey through the book of Proverbs. I ran across this verse, underlined it, and it has become a part of me ever since. Proverbs 19:21:

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

Even now I am writing it without looking it up because it has become such a part of who I am. Coaching was my plan! Living in West Texas was my plan! But, I wound up in youth ministry right out of college. I wasn’t coaching basketball with junior high kids, but I was teaching (coaching, if you don’t mind) teenagers how to grow and mature as disciples of Christ. The Lord’s purpose prevailed over mine. I was still working with kids, but in God’s way, not mine!

Ever since that day, I have faithfully, joyfully, and willingly answered God’s call to serve others. Why? Because I took a good look at what I wanted…Contemplated where I actually was…And finally realized that this is definitely where God wanted me to be. I don’t know for sure if you ever question where you are in life, but I want to encourage you to ask yourself a couple of questions: (1) Are you still living for yourself, focusing on your plans within your heart? (2) Or, have you surrendered to the “purpose” of God, submitting faithfully, joyfully, and willingly to his lordship in your life. It is in true surrender to the Lord that you will find true peace and never ending joy. Share: In what ways has God empowered you in your profession to share the gospel and his grace with others?

No comments: